A Craft Book Month round-up featuring Stash Books titles!

When Lindsay Conner offered to do a round-up of the projects from Stash Books linked up to her blog during Craft Book Month, it was an offer we couldn’t refuse! Enjoy the inspiration and please share your projects with us!
—-
Hi, my name is Lindsay Conner, and I’m a writer, editor and crafter who blogs at Lindsay Sews, Craft Buds and CraftFoxes. I’m so excited to be guest posting today at the Stash Books blog, and hope to inspire you with some great projects gathered from talented sewing bloggers.

If you follow many sewing blogs, you might have seen an increase in projects crafted from craft books recently! In September, I hosted a fun event called Craft Book Month to highlight all kinds of DIY books and encourage people to make a project from a book and blog about their experience.

Bags: The Modern Classics Projects - Craft Book Month
Top Left: “Wallet” from Bags: The Modern Classics, made by Sew TaraTop Right: “Urban Carryall Bag” from Bags: The Modern Classics, made by Gutsy DesignsBottom Right: “Urban Clutch” from Bags: The Modern Classics, made by Dodging the Butterfly

Throughout this post, I’m going to feature some of the inspiring projects our readers created from Stash Books titles during Craft Book Month. There were 20 Stash Books projects linked up by our readers, with Bags: The Modern Classics and Zakka Style as the most popular book choices across the board.

It’s funny to think back on how I came up with the idea for Craft Book Month, and to now see how it has grown into a really fun and inspiring event. A couple summers ago, my husband and I were vacationing in Quebec City. I tend to get new ideas when I’m away from my day-to-day environment. Thankfully, this was one of those times!
Sunday Morning Quilts Projects - Craft Book Month
Top: “Quilted Storage Box” from Sunday Morning Quilts, made by Live a Colorful Life
Bottom: “Candy Coated” from Sunday Morning Quilts, made by Freshly Pieced

For several months, I’d pushed myself toward the goal of writing a craft book. I realized that there wasn’t much information in blogland about the actual process.
How do you write a craft book proposal? What’s the best way to research and connect with publishers who might be interested in your idea? Do you need to hire an agent? I figured that the process looked a little different in the crafting field than it did with other types of publishing, but I had to do a lot of digging to find answers.
Zakka Style Projects - Craft Book Month
Left: “The House Pouch” from Zakka Style, made by Habala Style
Top Right: “Pleated Coin Purses” from Zakka Style, made by Shape Moth
Bottom Right: “Patchwork Pot Holder” from Zakka Style, made by The Plaid Scottie

As I walked the streets of a new city, I came up with the idea for a blog series called “Craft Book Month.” I had two goals in mind: a) I wanted answers to the questions above and b) I also wanted to encourage and inspire crafters (myself included) to actually make a project from a craft book and share it. I was ready for my own craft books to stop collecting dust, and invited others to join me in a craft book sewing challenge.
We Love Color Projects - Craft Book Month
Top Left and Bottom Right: “Orbit” from We Love Color, made by 13 Woodhouse Road
Top Right: “Think Big” from We Love Color, made by The Littlest Thistle

In the event’s second year, we have more than tripled our participation in the Craft Book Month linky party, and I am so grateful to the Craft Book Month sponsors who helped us make it happen!

At Craft Buds, we have mostly sewing and quilting readers, so it’s not surprising to see lots of quilts, sewn wearables and home decor. It’s fun to get to see two interpretations of the same quilt, like this one from Modern Patchwork.

Modern Patchwork Projects - Craft Book Month
Left: “Escape Artist” from Modern Patchwork, made by The Cute Life
Right: “Escape Artist” from Modern Patchwork, made by Canoe Ridge Creations

I had so much fun hosting Craft Book Month this year, and it only solidified my love of the great Stash Books authors and their work! To see so many great completed projects made from a variety of books is inspiring to me, and I hope it will also inspire you to pick up those sewing and quilting books that you love and use them to make something great.

We had great feedback from this year’s craft book experts who agreed to take the hot seat and answer some of my questions. Stash Books author Angela Yosten and C&T art director Kristy Zacharias were two people we were so happy to feature!

Stash Books Projects - Craft Book Month
Top Left: “Birthday Board” from Simple Home, made by A Prairie Sunrise
Bottom Left: Cover quilt from Modern Mix, made by Grapes and Hearts
Top Right: “Planetarium” from The Practical Guide to Patchwork, made by Sukie
Bottom Right: Embroidery from Little Stitches, made by Rebecca Mae Designs

Have the Stash Books authors inspired you in your own sewing and quilting?

If you’ve made a project from one of the books mentioned above or any Stash Books titles, please leave a link in the comments section. We’d love to see it!

For quick links to the Craft Book Month experts, including interviews with authors, editors and more, visit Business Tips at Craft Buds. And if you have any questions for Lindsay, you can e-mail her or visit Craft Buds on Facebook.

This entry was posted in Industry News, InspirationComments closed

17 Comments

1. Lisa
    Posted October 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Lindsay for always writing about crafting and sewing in a way that I can relate to, and in a way that helps me believe I can do it too.

2. Posted October 21, 2012 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Love it Linds! Your journey toward your dreams has been such an inspiration! Thank you for putting yourself out there…your willingness to risk has really created a more beautiful world for us all!!

3. Posted October 21, 2012 at 5:48 am | Permalink

Thanks Lindsay it was fun seeing all the projects.i am partial to Amy’s # sign and Elizabeth’s salvage project.

4. Posted October 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

I love Craft Book Month. I’ve hungrily read it both the first and second years. I love getting good sewing books, but sometimes it’s hard to tell a book by it’s cover or presentation online. It’s great seeing all the completed projects from the books on Craft Book Month. I hope it’ll be around next year too!!

5. Katie Myers
    Posted October 20, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I don’t consider myself very creative, but Lindsay always makes it seem so easy. Thanks Lindsay for being an inspiration that we can all create something in our lives that we love!

6. Posted October 20, 2012 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Lindsay, Thanks so much for inviting me to participate!! I had a lot of fun and since I missed your Creative Journey class at Sewing Summit it’s nice to at least read about what inspired you to start Craft Book Month. Thanks again! :)

7. Posted October 19, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Your books are so inspiring — I’m a huge fan! I made a version of one of Elizabeth Hartman’s blocks from Modern Patchwork which you can see at http://fabricmutt.blogspot.com/2012/07/perspective.html. I’m also in love with Zakka Style, and participated in the Zakka Along this year — the organizer is probably my favorite project from that book (you can see mine at http://www.fabricmutt.blogspot.com/2012/06/zakka-organizer.html). Thanks for making such amazing titles available to us!

8. Posted October 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Yay, such a fun month each year, thanks for hosting Lindsay, and thanks for the feature :)

9. Cindy
    Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I’ve not yet made a project from a Stash book but am impressed by all the pretties in this article!

10. Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks for showcasing a picture of my project. I loved participating in the Craft Books event and I was thrilled to actually win a prize- something that has never happened to me! I love all of my sewing books – but I am pretty picky about which ones I own because I just have too much stuff.

11. Posted October 19, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Craft Book Month was a great source of inspiration – and tempting as well. I added some more craft books to my christmas wishlist ;o) Thanks for choosing my Zoologie Circles Quilt and for organizing this event, Lindsay! Looking forward to next year’s CBM :o)

12. Posted October 19, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

the event certainly helped me dust off a few of my craft books! i got bitten by the book bug, lol, and i’ll have to fight to make sure i keep balanced between using books/patterns and making up my own stuff (before i wasn’t using books and patterns enough, now i have all these patterns i came up with that may be left to collect dust! lol). can’t wait for next year, i’m already thinking about what to make :)

13. Posted October 19, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

This was such a great idea, Lindsay. Thanks for including me in this event and for including my project in this post. It was so much fun!

14. Posted October 19, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Thanks for hosting the event and including my mini quilt in your post, Lindsay!

15. Posted October 19, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Thank you for a great event! There are few books I would like to buy based on the posts I read and pictures I’ve seen. Also thank you for including my project from Zakka Style book.

16. Posted October 19, 2012 at 12:45 am | Permalink

I have an ongoing Craft Book Challenge going on where I’m working my way through my 140-odd craft books! I joined in the Zakka Style SAL too and completed 18 of the projects. if you want to see, go here: http://thecraftersapprentice.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/zakka%20style

17. Posted October 18, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I was incredibly inspired by Block Party. I hoped to form a quilting bee but haven’t been able to yet. However, I have been working on all the different blocks from the book and finished one quilt – http://ohfigs.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/wonky-log-cabin/ – the wonky log cabin. A basic design but a great place to start as a new quilter.

One Trackback

• [...] We’re over at the Stash Books blog, sharing some reader projects from Craft Book Month! Hop on over to see if your project were featured! (function() {var s = document.createElement('SCRIPT'), s1 = [...]